Militant killings: Slain Tawseef was detained under Public Safety Act during 2016 uprising

Posted on


Srinagar: Tawseef Ahmad Wani, who was shot dead by armed forces on Thursday during the funeral of three slain militants, was booked under notorious Public Safety Act (PSA) in 2016.

Tawseef, who was in his early twenties, was part of massive anti-India protests at Kakpora in Pulwama district today where thousands of people have gathered to attend the funeral of two militants.

Shariq @ Hanzala, Majad Mir @ Abass, both residents of Kakapora Pulwama, and Irshad Ahmad of Aghanzpur Awantipora died died in an encounter with the armed forces in Kakpora area of Pulwama district.

They were associated with Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant outfit.

Tawseef aka Sahba, a resident of Nagbal, Tengpuna which is two kilometre from main Pulwama town, had left studies mid-way to help his family. “He worked with his cousin who owned a JCB,” Tawseef’s friend, who did not wish to be named, said.

“He was released just a month and half ago from jail,” he said.

Slain Tawseef Ahmad Wani

Tawseef, he said, always took part in pro-freedom protests since 2008. “He was arrested many a times and during the peak of Burhan uprising in 2016, he was arrested and subsequently booked under Act (PSA),” he informed.

In 2010, when over 120 civilians were killed under Omar Abdullah led NC-Congress coalition government, Tawseef was booked under PSA and was released from Kathua jail after six months when J&K High Court quashed the imprisonment order, one of his relatives informed.

Burhan, a popular militant commander, was killed on July 08, 2016 in Bemdoora area of Anantnag triggering a massive anti-India public uprising. Over ten thousand people were arrested, of whom around eight hundred were booked under PSA, during months long protests in which over hundred civilians were killed in armed forces action.

He said that Tawseef was imprisoned in Kathua jail in Jammu where from he was released after 8 months of imprisonment.

Tawseef is survived by his mother, two brothers, and two sisters. He was the third amongst his siblings who live in a single storey house. His father, Ghulam Hassan Wani, died in 2014.

His elder brother and one sister have already gotten married.

Gulzar, the elder brother, works as a labourer and heads the family while Tawseef’s younger brother Liyaqat Ahmad is a Ist year student at government run Degree College Pulwama.

His maternal home lies in Samboora town near Pampore where people offered funeral prayers for him when his body was being taken home from Pampore sub-district hospital.

Tawseef was hit by a bullet in his neck on right side while his body bore injuries of pellets as well. Doctors at Pampore hospital declared him brought dead at arrival.

Funeral of slain Tawseef Ahmad Wani, a 22-year-old civilian, shot dead by armed forces on June 22, 2017 in Kakpora in Pulwama. (FPK Photo/Vikar Syed)

While Tawseef’s friend, who recently completed BTech from Chandigarh, was sharing details with the FreePressKashmir arrangements were being made for slain Tawseef’s funeral prayers which are being held in a playground of an under construction private school.

Taazgi Hai Gulistan Mein, Aey Shaheedo Tum Kahan ho”, song for the “martyrs of Kashmir” was being played from the podium where the body of slain Tawseef will be kept.

Click to comment

Most Popular

© 2024 Free Press Kashmir. All rights reserved.

Exit mobile version