Conflict
Iran warns neighbours against joining US economic pressure as Middle East tensions escalate
Dubai: Iran’s newly appointed top security official has warned neighbouring countries against cooperating with the United States in its latest campaign to put economic pressure on Tehran.
Mohsen Rezaei, the new head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, said Tehran would respond forcefully if US President Donald Trump escalated economic or military pressure. In an interview with Iranian state television, Rezaei warned that countries supporting measures against Iran could be treated as enemies, with their interests potentially targeted.
He also said Iran could target alternative oil-shipping routes in the Persian Gulf if neighbouring states joined Washington’s economic campaign. Rezaei added that talks with Oman over the management of the Strait of Hormuz were continuing and suggested that transit fees could be introduced.
Egypt is working to revive negotiations between Iran and the United States aimed at ending the ongoing conflict. Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty spoke with his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi about the possibility of returning to negotiations.
The two ministers also discussed Iran’s talks with Oman and the challenges facing the diplomatic process. Araghchi separately held discussions with Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir.
Iran and Iraq said Tehran has allowed some vessels carrying Iraqi oil to pass through the Strait of Hormuz.
Iraqi President Nizar Amidi said certain ships transporting Iraqi oil had been permitted to transit the strategic waterway. Iran’s state news agency also reported that several Iraqi oil tankers had been allowed through, although the exact number of vessels and any conditions attached to their passage remained unclear.
An Israeli drone strike hit a vehicle in Beit Jin, southwestern Syria, on Saturday, injuring at least one person, according to Syrian state media.
Syria condemned the attack as a violation of its sovereignty. Israel said its forces had targeted a person allegedly involved in preparing terrorist attacks. Israel has conducted numerous strikes in Syria since the fall of former President Bashar Assad in late 2024, primarily targeting military assets.
US Ambassador Tom Barrack said in a recent interview that Israel continues to occupy the Golan Heights in breach of UN resolutions.
Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz rejected the remarks, saying they were inaccurate and inconsistent with President Donald Trump’s position. Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria in 1967 and formally annexed it in 1981. The United Nations continues to regard the territory as occupied Syrian land, although Trump recognised Israeli sovereignty over the area in 2019.
French President Emmanuel Macron and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman are expected to discuss ways of reducing reliance on the Strait of Hormuz during the Saudi leader’s visit to Paris.
Possible measures include expanding the use of Omani ports outside the Persian Gulf, increasing the capacity of Saudi and other regional oil pipelines, and developing new rail connections. A joint French-Saudi task force on energy and logistics is also expected to examine major infrastructure projects linking the Middle East with Europe.
An Israeli strike on a house in central Gaza killed one Palestinian and injured another, according to officials at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital.
The Israeli military said the target was Sharif al-Hasanat, a Hamas commander whom it accused of involvement in attacks and efforts to rebuild the group’s underground infrastructure. The strike came as diplomatic efforts continued to make progress towards a ceasefire.