New Zealand has stated that they would pull out of their tour of Pakistan due to a “security alert” from their government, International Cricket Council said on Friday.
New Zealand was set to play three ODIs and five T20Is across Rawalpindi and Lahore as part of their tour of Pakistan.
However, after the toss in the first ODI was delayed, New Zealand Cricket released a statement saying the team would be pulling out of the tour.
The release stated arrangements were being made for the players to fly back to New Zealand, the council said.
“I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” said David White, the NZC Chief Executive.
The PCB said the decision by the NZC would disappoint cricket lovers. “Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” the PCB statement said.
“Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.
“The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here.
“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal.”