Shopian encounter: Police version

Srinagar: Three Hizbul Mujahideen militants were killed in an encounter with police and security forces at Awneera village of Zainapora Shopian.

Acting on a specific information, Shopian police along with 03 RR, 14 Bn and 177 Bn CRPF launched a cordon and search operation at Awneera village in the jurisdiction of Police Station Zainapora, Shopian. During the search operation, militants hiding in the area fired upon the joint search party. The fire was retaliated, ensuing an encounter.

Three Hizb militants were killed in the encounter. The slain militants were identified as Irfan-ul-Haq, resident of Maldara Zainapora and Umar Majeed Mir, resident of Kulgam.

The identity of the third militant is being ascertained.

Arms and ammunition was recovered from the encounter site.

Five army personnel were injured during the encounter and were shifted to the hospital for treatment. Among the injured, two army personnel succumbed to their injuries and achieved martyrdom.

The slain militants were involved in many anti national and unlawful activities.

Umer Majeed Mir was involved in grenade attack on security forces at Yaripora and many firing incidents including Yaripora and Kanjikullah. He was also involved in bank robbery case of PS Yaripora.

Irfan-ul-Haq was involved in many cases including grenade attacks and firing on security personnel. He along with his associates was involved in the killing of shopkeeper, a resident of Heff and Adv. Imtiyaz Ahmad Khan resident of Pinjora.

He was involved in attack on guards of MLA Shopian and MLC Showkat Ahmad. He was also involved in firing on Bn Hqrs IRP 18th Bn Reshipora and on Army party at Moolu Chitragam.

At the time of withdrawal of the CASO party from the encounter site, the militants fired indiscriminately upon army vehicles in which one person namely Mohammad Syed of Shopian was injured. He was shifted to hospital for treatment.

The media persons who had gone to cover the encounter got stuck when the militants fired upon the CASO party when it was de-inducting. The media persons were evacuated in bullet proof vehicles of police.

Click to comment
To Top