Mirwaiz placed under house arrest again, five days after release

Srinagar: The Government of India on Wednesday placed Hurriyat Conference (M) chairperson, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house arrest.

Mirwaiz Mohammad Umar Farooq is the Mirwaiz of Kashmir and a Kashmiri resistance leader. He is the chairman of the Awami Action Committee, one of the two key factions of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference, a “grassroots coalition” of pro-Pakistan and pro-freedom parties in Jammu and Kashmir.

All Parties Hurriyat Conference (APHC) is an alliance of 26 political, social and religious organizations formed on March 9, 1993, as a united political front to raise the cause of Kashmiri resistance. This alliance has historically been viewed positively by Pakistan as it contests the claim of the Indian government over the State of Jammu and Kashmir. Ghulam Muhammad Safi was elected as its convener in January 2010.

A statement from the party spokesman condemned the house arrest and in a statement said that, “We strongly condemn the government’s decision of placing the chairman of the amalgam, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house detention once again at his Nigeen residence, thereby baring him yet again from carrying out political, social and religious activities. Just five days back, he was set free from the 57-day long house detention and again government once again caged him at his home.”

“Put once again under #HouseArrest just four days after I was released after two months!” Mirwaiz tweeted.


This detention came after he announced ‘special prayers’ on Friday at Jamia Masjid, Srinagar and appealed people to participate.

Anjuman-e-Auqaf Jamia Masjid Srinagar, in a statement, issued here today, said that “our society is grappling with serious issues and we are faced with grave threats.”

The people of Kashmir need to return to Allah and ask for forgiveness, said the statement.

“Keeping this in view, APHC Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq has urged the people to offer congregational prayers at Jamia Masjid Srinagar on coming Friday Aug 25, where special prayers for Touba-e-Istegfaar will be held to ask Almighty Allah for repentance.”

Farooq was released on August 18 following 57 days’ house arrest.

Click to comment
To Top