News

Modi has surrendered Indian territory to Chinese aggression, says Rahul Gandhi

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday launched a tirade against the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying he “surrendered Indian territory to Chinese aggression”.

“The PM has surrendered Indian territory to Chinese aggression. If the land was Chinese, Why were our soldiers killed? Where were they killed?,” the former Congress President tweeted some pointed questions directed at PM Modi.

He was speaking in the backdrop of a statement made by PM Modi that there was no intrusion at the border by the Chinese Army.

“Neither anyone has intruded into our territory nor took over any post,” the prime minister said in the all-party meet on Friday.

Earlier on Friday, Rahul accused the central government of being “fast asleep and denying the problem” at the border.

“It’s now crystal clear that the Chinese attack in Galwan was pre-planned. GOI was fast asleep and denied the problem. The price was paid by our martyred Jawans,” he said.

Tensions are high as the Government of India has given powers to the armed forces to make emergency procurements to stock up its war reserves amid tension building up on the LAC.

Air Force assets, including fighters, have been moved up to forward locations.

Navy has also been given the go-ahead to deploy its assets near the Malacca Strait and, if needed, anywhere else in the Indo-Pacific to counter Chinese action

Economic Times had reported that the government did not want to leave anything to chance at this stage, especially after the violence in Galwan which left atleast 20 Indian soldiers dead.

Prime Minster of India Narendra Modi has said that the ‘sacrifices of soldiers’ along the border with China will not go in vain. India wants peace but is capable of giving befitting reply, if instigated, he said.

The external affairs ministry has said the escalation in Galwan Valley of Ladakh happened “as a result of an attempt by the Chinese side to unilaterally change the status quo there”.

China has accused India of crossing the border and attacking Chinese personnel, and called on India to “not take unilateral actions or stir up trouble.”

The armies of India and China are locked in a tense standoff at three points in eastern Ladakh, wherein China has reportedly occupied 60 sq. kilometres of territory claimed by India.

A Chinese diplomat reacting to the standoff in Ladakh has said that the move is linked to the Indian government’s unilateral decision to scrap Article 370 in August last year.

The move changed the laws that prohibited Indians from buying land in Kashmir, and made the constitution of Jammu and Kashmir defunct, triggering fears of demographic change in the Muslim majority region of Kashmir.

When India scrapped Jammu and Kashmir’s special status on August 5 last year, the Chinese foreign ministry had issued two statements criticising the development, including one that focused on the splitting of the state into union territories.

This statement, while urging India to be “cautious” on the border issue and to avoid “actions that further complicate the border issue”, said: “China has always opposed India’s inclusion of Chinese territory in India’s administrative jurisdiction in the western part of the Sino-Indian border.” This was a reference to the area in Ladakh that New Delhi claims but is controlled by Beijing.

 

Free Press Kashmir is now on Telegram. Click here to Join

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top