On Monday, a magnitude 5.6 earthquake shook southern Turkey, three weeks after a catastrophic temblor devastated the region.
The fresh quake has caused the collapse of some buildings.
One person was killed, 69 injured and 29 buildings were damaged, Turkish authorities told Reuters triggering frantic work to rescue several people believed trapped in the rubble.
According to Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), the latest quake was centred in the town of Yesilyurt in Malatya province.
Yesilyurt’s Mayor Mehmet Cinar told Haber Turk television that a number of buildings in the town collapsed, including a four-storey building where a father and daughter were trapped.
Pertinently, more than 50,000 people were killed in the earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria earlier this month, according to the latest data.
The toll may soar as many are still missing and over three lakh apartments in Turkey are now known to have been destroyed.
The first earthquake hit southeastern Turkey and northern Syria on February 6 and measured 7.7 on the Richter scale.
The second one, a little later, measured 7.6. The region has been rocked by more than 9,000 aftershocks since, according to AFAD.