International Relations

Trump threatens to strike Oman if it interferes with US-Iran talks

Posted on

US President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally, 27 July 2017. [Gerd Altmann/Wikimedia]

On Monday, President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman if the Gulf Country “gets in the way” of his efforts to negotiate with Iran. According to remarks reported by Fox News and other media outlets.

Trump made the threat when he was speaking about efforts to come to an agreement with Iran. And what will happen next at the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, he said during a conversation with Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst. “If they get in our way — If Oman gets in the way — We will bomb the s*** out of them.”

These escalated remarks toward a longstanding US partner, whose role in moderating between Washington and Tehran has been frequently acknowledged by Trump in recent years. And it confirms reports that there is a back channel open to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Trump said he was in “no hurry” to come to agreement.

He made his comments at a time when US-Iran diplomatic engagement remains stalled amid ongoing hostilities over the Strait of Hormuz – a vital waterway through which a significant proportion of the world’s oil travels. Talks held recently have concentrated on how best to either reopen or manage access to the strait, after it experienced severe disruptions throughout the course of a months-long regional conflict.

No immediate response has come from Omani authorities on Trump’s comments.
Historically, Oman had been acting as an intermediary between Washington and Tehran during past rounds of direct talks.

Click to comment

Most Popular

Exit mobile version