India
Rashtrapati Bhavan recalls statement on Bangladesh PM’s India visit
A visit to India by Bangladesh Prime Minister Tariq Rahman is now shrouded in uncertainty following Rashtrapati Bhavan’s withdrawal of a statement on arrangements for his visit, Indian Express reported. Earlier on Friday, Rashtrapati Bhavan announced at around 2 pm that the Change of Guard ceremony, scheduled for Saturday, has been cancelled due to preparations for the Bangladesh Prime Minister’s welcome ceremony. Less than an hour later, Rashtrapati Bhavan issued another statement that the earlier announcement “stands withdrawn”.
The initial announcement said a full-dress rehearsal for the Bangladeshi prime minister’s welcome ceremony had led to the cancellation of the Changing of Guard ceremony.
Meanwhile, the alleged visit of Rahman to New Delhi still remained unconfirmed by both the Bangladesh and Indian sides. The Ministry of External Affairs also remained tight-lipped. “I have nothing to say on this matter. If I have any updates I will share with you,” MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal told media persons in New Delhi.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Tariq Rahman took over as prime minister in February, and his rumoured visit to India is said to follow attempts by the two neighbours to improve ties.
Additionally, any visit comes against the backdrop of Dhaka’s push to have former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, currently in India, extradited.