Valley mourns Chadoora killings, complete shutdown observed

Clashes reported from across the valley

Thousands participate in slain militant’s funeral  

Situation remained normal: Police 


Srinagar: A complete shutdown was observed in different parts of the valley, in protest against the civilians killed by government forces, near an encounter site in Chadoora on Tuesday. Incidents of stone pelting were reports from various parts of the Valley.

In Yaripora, thousands of people attended the funeral of the slain Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tauseef Ahmed Wagay, who was killed in a 10-hour long gun battle in Chadoora on Tuesday.

People thronged from adjoin areas to join his funeral and to have a last glimpse of the slain militant. Before laying him to rest, his funeral prayers were recited around five times to accommodate thousands who showed up at his ancestral Kanjkul village in Yaripora area of district Kulgam.

Jamaat-e-Islami district President of Kulgam Mohammad Yousef lead the first funeral prayer of Wagay. The slain militant’s brother Imran, led the last and prayed that ‘Allah accepts his martyrdom’.

Funeral prayers in absentia for Wagay was held in Ajas area of Bandipora in which hundreds of people took part.

Intense clashes broke out in Yaripora soon after the last rites of Wagay were completed.

Clashes were also reported from Palhallan and old town of Baramulla. Youth took to the streets to register their protest against the killings in Chadoora. The forces resorted to tear gas shelling to counter the protesters.

There was a sizable deployment of forces in the Srinagar especially in the Downtown area where youth took to the streets pelted stones at the government forces.

Incidents of stone pelting were also reported from the outskirts of the city in which a boy identified as Abrar Ahmed of Rawalpora sustained pellet injuries. Clashes were also reported from Rangreth area.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people visited the homes of the killed boys of Chadoora and expressed solidarity.

Clashes were also reported from Chadoora when protesters tried to reach the police station. However they were stopped after forces resorted to intense tear gas shelling in which a boy was injured after a shell hit his hand. Reports of several other people sustaining injuries were also received.

BJP General Secretary Riyaz Ahmed Mir’s car was burnt by unknown people in Sopore. The incident took place after sundown on Tuesday.

Police maintained that no injuries were reported from anywhere.

“Barring a few stone pelting incidents, the situation overall remained normal, “said Ghulam Hassan Bhat, Deputy Inspector General, Central Kashmir Range.

Click to comment
To Top