Militant killings: Third Civilian killed by forces in one week

Representational Photo

Srinagar: Soon after three militants died fighting Indian armed forces in Pulwama district, one civilian was killed who was attending the funeral of the slain militants.

Massive pro-freedom and anti-India protests erupted in parts of South Kashmir on Thursday morning soon after news broke about the death of three militants.

Thousands of people started marching towards Kakpora and Padgampora – the native villages of the three slain militants.

However, district administration Pulwama imposed strict restrictions in several towns to stop the spread of protests.

Soon clashes erupted between armed forces and civilian protestors who hurled stones at the tear gas shelling men in uniform.

One 25-year-old youth was killed, and several others injured, during the protests as the forces opened fire in Kakapora.

He was hit by a bullet in the neck and rushed to sub-district hospital Pampore.

Identified as Tawseef Ahmad Wani, a resident of Tengpuna Pulwama, he was also hit by pellets.

Tawseef is the third civilian shot dead by the men in uniform since June 16 this year. Two civilians, including a 14-year-old student, were killed when people tried to help three militants during an encounter in Arwani village of Kulgam district last Friday.

Pampore hospital has referred at least three injured civilians to Srinagar hospitals for advanced treatment.

Reports of massive clashes going on in Kakapora and Awantipora were received while this report was being filed.

The government has snapped the internet services in the area while the vital Srinagar-Jammu highway was closed.

Shariq @ Hanzala, Majad Mir @ Abass, both residents of Kakapora Pulwama, and Irshad Ahmad of Aghanzpur Awantipora died in an encounter with the armed forces in Kakpora area of Pulwama district.

They belonged to Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), a militant outfit.

The armed forces had cordoned off New Colony area of Kakpora in Pulwama last late night after receiving information about their presence.

The house the slain militants were staying in was blasted and razed to ground after forces used heavy ammunition.

Click to comment
To Top