Srinagar: Amid complete shutdown against the braid chopping incidents, a 35-year old woman has become the latest victim after her braid was chopped by unknown persons.
According to reports, the victim, a resident of Nowpora locality of Bandipora, had gone out to open the main gate of her house. She was knocked unconscious and her braid was chopped off.
Her ear rings were also stolen.
A complete shutdown is being observed today after the Joint Resistance Leadership called for a strike and a ‘civil curfew’ against the braid chopping incidents in the valley.
Restrictions have been put in many city parts ‘as a preventive measure.’
More than 120 braid chopping incidents have been reported in the valley in the past two months. As the police has not been able to nab as single person which has added to the fear and frustration of the local populace, vigilantes have taken over the streets.
There have been reports were people have beaten up strangers, tourists, non local labourers and even forces on suspicion of being braid choppers.
In Sopore on Saturday a mentally challenged youth was thrashed by people as he was accused of being a braid chopper. According to the police, the ‘mob’ tried to burn him alive. Police has arrested at least 14 people in connection with the incident.
The special investigation Team which was constituted to investigate braid chopping incidents is totally clueless to date. Even the State Women’s Commission recently said that they have not shared the details of a single case with them.
SWC commissioner Nayeema Majhoor said that she won’t buy the ‘mass hysteria’ theory without proof. Recently, after a 100 braid chopping incidents, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti broke her silence and called it an attempt to create mass hysteria.
The police have announced a reward of Rs six lakh for credible information leading to arrest of any person behind braid chopping incidents. So far, no arrests have been made.
The opposition and the Resistance leaders have been castigating the government on a daily basis.
While the opposition mainly the National Conference has accused the government of failing to protect the ‘honour and dignity of the womenfolk, the Resistance leaders have held the government responsible for the incidents and have demanded accountability.