HMT Shootout: Among three militants arrested, one injured, shifted to hospital, says police

File photo for representation.

Srinagar: Three militants were arrested following a brief shootout at HMT in Srinagar outskirts Monday after police intercepted a vehicle coming from northern Pattan area of Baramulla district.

Police said that acting on a specific lead, a group of militants was travelling in a vehicle from north Kashmir, a naka was laid at HMT near Noora hospital at around 3 pm.

“A suspicious vehicle was asked to stop, but it didn’t. Police fired some shots to stop the vehicle,” said a police officer, wishing not to be named.

“In the brief exchange of fire, three militants were arrested. One of them was hit by a bullet in his abdomen, who was shifted to SKIMS, Bemina for treatment.”

A police source cited by Greater Kashmir said the vehicle Brezza, bearing registration number JK132344 (Pulwama number) was coming from Pattan area of north Kashmir. “The militants had concealed grenades and ammunition beneath the apple boxes. Two militants, who tried to flee, were overpowered by the alert policemen,” he said.

He said all the three militants seem to be part of Hizbul Mujahideen outfit.

Quoted by GK, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Srinagar, Imtiaz Ismail said a suspicious vehicle was signalled to stop at a naka at HMT but the driver of the vehicle ignored and gained speed. “Police succeeded in stopping the vehicle that was coming from Pattan area of northern Baramulla district and was heading towards Srinagar.”

In the brief shoot-out, one of the three militants was injured. “He was removed to hospital where his condition is stable. The other two were arrested and are being questioned,” he said.

The SSP said the police recovered, at least a dozen grenades and a large quantity of ammunition from the vehicle, in which militants were travelling.

“Investigations will reveal as to whether they wanted to go back to Pulwama or to carry out a strike in Srinagar,” the source said. “It seems they had a plot in mind. Things will be clear in a few days.”

Meanwhile, a heavy contingent of police has been deployed at SKIMS, Bemina where the injured militant is being treated. “A close watch is being kept on him,” a police official said.

Click to comment
To Top