Khashoggi entered the building on October 2 to obtain documentation certifying he had divorced his ex-wife. He was not seen since.
Saudi Arabia has said the Saudi critic died in a fight inside its Istanbul consulate – after weeks of consistent denials that it had anything to do with his disappearance.
Turkish media have reported Khashoggi was killed and dismembered based on recordings from the consulate. They say he died at the hands of a 15-member assassination squad from Saudi Arabia.
The head of the Saudi investigation, Attorney General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb, visited the consulate after meeting for the second time with Istanbul chief prosecutor Irfan Fidan.
Meanwhile, Saudi prosecutors have handed over the testimonies by the 18 suspects of the killing of Khashoggi to Turkish officials, a source in the Turkish Attorney General’s office cited by Al Jazeera said.
This comes after Istanbul’s chief prosecutor’s office was left “unsatisfied” following a meeting with Saudi Arabia’s top prosecutor over Khashoggi’s killing, sources cited by AJ said.
Saud al-Mojeb, who arrived in Istanbul from Riyadh on Sunday, had been expected to provide the testimonies from the 18 suspects being held in Saudi Arabia, but according to the sources he initially failed to hand over the statements.
Meanwhile, Khashoggi’s fiancee has demanded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman reveal the whereabouts of his body, AJ reported.
Hatice Cengiz in an emotional plea to an audience in London said: “I believe that the Saudi regime knows where his body is: they should answer my demand, for this is not only the demand of a fiancee but a human and Islamic demand.”
“I want justice to be served – not only for those who murdered my beloved Jamal but for those who organised it and gave the order for it. These questions are not just my questions: they are being asked by millions,” she said. “I want the role of the political leadership in this brutal killing to be brought to light.”