The U.S White House on Thursday, in a statement on the two-day talks between President Donald Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un that culminated on Thursday, said Trump and Kim failed to reached an agreement on denuclearization.
“President Donald J. Trump of the United States and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea had very good and constructive meetings in Hanoi, Vietnam, on February 27-28, 2019. The two leaders discussed various ways to advance denuclearization and economic driven concepts. No agreement was reached at this time, but their respective teams look forward to meeting in the future,” White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders said.
According to an earlier announcement, Trump was expected to hold a “joint agreement signing ceremony” with Kim at the conclusion of their summit talks, which remained canceled following the recent statement.
Earlier, Trump and Kim, while seated at a conference table across from each other had appeared confident regarding the matter.
“If I’m not willing to do that, I won’t be here right now,” Kim had told reporters through an interpreter, after being inquired if he was ready to give up his nuclear weapons.
In reply, Trump said: “That might be the best answer you’ve ever heard.”
Both leaders had held a similar summit in Singapore last year in June, outlining commitments such as ‘establishing “new relations” for peace and prosperity; building a “lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula”; working “towards denuclearisation”; and recovering and repatriating the remains of soldiers killed during the 1950-1953 Korean War’.
A detailed agreement was expected in this year’s summit, unprecedentedly cut short over failure of reaching a mutual deal.