The Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the bombings in Sri Lanka that has left at least 320 people dead and more than 500 injured.
According to reports, the terror group’s official al-Amaq news agency made the claim on its channel on the encrypted messaging app Telegram late Tuesday.
It came after an unconfirmed video posted to social media earlier that day by an affiliated group strongly suggested IS was behind the attacks.
The video, purportedly from Al Ghuraba Media, which is not an official IS channel but is believed to be run by supporters of IS, featured the chilling message, “This bloody day is our reward to you.”
It also showed photos of three of the alleged suicide bombers.
The men, who are described as “assailants” rather than the more common “martyrs”, are named as Abul Barra, Abul Mukhtar and Abu Ubaida and appear in front of a black IS flag giving the one-finger salute.
Earlier, the Deputy Defence Minister of Sri Lanka had said that the attacks were carried out ‘in retaliation of Christchurch’.
“The preliminary investigations have revealed that what happened in Sri Lanka (on Sunday) was in retaliation for the attack against Muslims in Christchurch,” Wijewardene told parliament.
50 people were killed in New Zealand’s Christchurch in a attack on two mosques recently.
Meanwhile, the death toll in Sri Lanka has risen to 310 and more than 40 people have been arrested. on April 22, Sri Lanka’s Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said the bombings were carried out by a local group identified as the National Thowheed Jamaath, without elaborating on evidence.