Militant killed in military operation in Chrar-e-Sharief had rescued over 2 dozen armed forces personnel during floods in 2014

Srinagar: A Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) militant, who was killed in a military operation in central Kashmir’s Chrar-e-Sharief area on Tuesday, had rescued around two dozen armed forces personnel in 2014 when devastating floods hit the Kashmir valley killings hundreds of people.

In a 12 hour long military operation against militants at Nowhal area of Chrar-e-Sharief, police said that a joint team of armed forces personnel killed a militant identified as Adil Shah, a resident of Samboora Kakapora Pulwama, in south Kashmir.

Earlier, one of the family members told Free Press Kashmir that the slain militant had gone missing in August this year and the family had approached the police seeking their help in tracing him. However, reports later claimed that Shah has joined militant ranks.

In 2014, Shah was appreciated by the JK government and local army unit of Pulwama for rescuing over two dozen armed forces personnel in Pampore during devastating floods.

However, Shah was later picked up for questioning in connection with Lethpora deadly blast that killed over 40 armed forces personnel. He was detained and released several times while before joining militancy, and was also summoned by National Investigating Agency, reports claimed.

In August, as Shah went missing, a message circulated on social media with Shah asking his family members not to waste time in tracing him.

Shah, according to the family, had done Bachelors in Arts and was running a stationery shop in Pulwama’s Kakapora village, before joining militancy.

Earlier on Tuesday, Police said that Shah’s body shall be sent to Handwara for his last rites after conducting medico-legal formalities.

Regarding the military operation, SSP Budgam Amod Nagpur, while speaking to reporters on Tuesday said that joint teams launched an operation on the basis of specific information about the presence of militants in Nowhal area of Chrar-e-Sharief area, on Monday evening.

“The militants fired indiscriminately at the armed forces personnel with bullets and grenades. Today morning, one militant was killed and a huge quantity of arms and ammunition was recovered from his possession,” the SSP said, adding that the slain militant is affiliated with the Jaish-e-Muhammad outfit.

Asked whether any militant managed to escape, he said that the operation is successful on part of the armed forces personnel.

“There are a few associates of slain militant active in the area and we will soon catch them,” the SSP said.


Free Press Kashmir is now on Telegram. Click here to Join

Click to comment
To Top