Ranchi: The Jharkhand government has cancelled the JSSC-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014, following weeks of protests over alleged irregularities.
The decision was announced after Chief Minister Hemant Soren chaired a cabinet meeting at the state secretariat on Monday. The government also decided to set up an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend measures to improve the recruitment examination system.
Soren said the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exam was among the key demands of the protesting students. He added that all examinations conducted by TDPL and the results published by the agency would also be cancelled.
The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has been leading the agitation since July 25. Six protesters were on hunger strike, while student leader Devendra Mahto ended his 16-day fast around midnight on Monday following the government’s announcement. Five others, however, continued their hunger strike.
Students celebrated the government’s decision, with some waving the Tricolour. Activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mahto over a video call and described the development as a victory for both the protesters and the government.
The announcement, however, did not immediately end the agitation, as protesters maintained that their demand for a CBI probe into the alleged examination irregularities had not been accepted.
Rahul Kranti, one of the protesters undergoing treatment at Sadar Hospital, said the agitation would continue until the government agreed to a CBI investigation.
Soren said the government had already enacted the Jharkhand Competitive Examination Prevention and Redressal of Unfair Means in Recruitment Act and would enforce it strictly. He also said the CID and a special investigation team had uncovered several factors during their probe that could not be disclosed at this stage, alleging that several companies operating in the state appeared to be involved in a major examination racket.
The protesters have announced plans to gherao the chief minister’s residence on August 20 and called on students from across Jharkhand to gather in Ranchi. They have also demanded Soren’s resignation and accused the ruling JMM-Congress alliance of failing to act on their concerns.
Meanwhile, the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exam triggered a counter-protest by candidates who had cleared it and secured government jobs. A group of successful candidates gathered outside the state secretariat, claiming that the decision could leave around 2,000 people without jobs.
The opposition BJP backed the demand for a CBI probe. Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi urged Soren to accept the students’ demand and questioned why the government should oppose a CBI investigation if it was confident about the recruitment process.
While the government has accepted a major demand by cancelling the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-conducted examinations, the protest remains unresolved over the CBI probe. Meanwhile, the CID continued raids in connection with the alleged examination irregularities, including at the JSSC office, CID ADG Manoj Kaushik told PTI.

