Civilian Killed in Tral after Hizb Commander Sabzar’s death

Srinagar: One civilian has been shot dead in Tral hours after two Hizb ul Mujahideen militants were killed in an encounter in the area early Saturday morning.

Reports and local sources said that at least four civilians received bullet injuries after armed forces opened fire during protests near the gunfight site where the militants died in Samoo village of Tral.

Top Hizb commander, Sabzar Ahmad Bhat, along with teenage militant, Faizan Muzaffar Bhat, were killed in a gun fight which started last night and resumed early this morning. The militants were hiding in a residential house which was razed to ground.

Intense clashes erupted in Saimoh and adjacent villages including Rathsuna as the news of his death spread in the area.

The injured civilians were rushed to sub-district hospital Tral where one youth succumbed.

He was identified as Molvi Aqib Ahmad of Khanqah Tral. He had received a bullet in his forehead.

Reports said that two others were shifted to SMHS and Bone and Joints Hospital Barzulla for treatment.

Meanwhile, another youth was critically injured in forces action in Anantnag’s Mattan area during protests.

Eye witnesses said that students erupted in pro-freedom protests after news of Sabzar’s death spread in the area.

“One youth was hit by a bullet in his head and he was rushed to SMHS Hospital Srinagar from Anantnag district hospital in critical condition,” a youth, who was present in the hospital, said.

A doctor at SMHS Hospital said that the youth, identified as Sameer Bhat, is undergoing treatment. “The youth has a bullet injury and has been operated upon,” he said. Son of Bashir Ahmad, Sameer is a 12th standard student and lives in Cheher Mattan area of the district.

In Baramulla’s Sopore town, students from Degree College held protests and took out a march to Government Higher Secondary School.

“But forces did not allow them to come out of the Secondary School campus by using force and firing tear gas shells,” a photo-journalist who covered the situation told the FreePressKashmir over phone.

Several youth were arrested from a nearby graveyard, he added.

“Calm has been restored but the area is witnessing complete shutdown,” he said.

When contacted, J&K Police spokesperson told the FreePressKashmir that it will be issuing a statement.

Click to comment
To Top