Kakpora killings backlash: Silence of Intl Community criticised as clashes erupt in Kashmir parts

Funeral of slain Tawseef Ahmad Wani, a 22-year-old civilian, shot dead by armed forces on June 22, 2017 in Kakpora in Pulwama. (FPK Photo/Vikar Syed)

Srinagar: The activists of joint resistance camps on Friday held protests on the call of resistance leadership.

“Genocide of Kashmiris is going on unabated but international community is maintaining its criminal silence over this inhumanity. We cannot remain silent spectators over this killing spree,” said Noor Muhammad Kalwal who led a protest demonstration near Budshah Chowk in Sringar today against killings and prolonging incarceration of Kashmiri inmates.

Meanwhile, intense clashes erupted in Anantnag distrcit while reports of protests also came from Hajin town in Bandipora district.

“Innocent killings in Kashmir are continuing unabated and holy month of Ramzan has actually seen a rise in this ugly phenomenon. Indian army, police and forces are taking a sadistic pleasure while continuing their killing spree in Kashmir in the holy month of Ramzan,” said a resistance leader.

“Recent killings and acts of oppression especially at Pulwama, Sopore and other places have once again exposed the ugly face of Indian democracy and if this killing spree is not halted immediately Kashmiris will have no choice but to launch a full-fledged agitation against this. Killings, arrests, house arrests, crackdowns, beatings, hooliganism, can not deter us from perusing the path of truth and freedom and despite all these aggressive and oppressive tactics of India our freedom struggle will continue till the achievement of the desired goal (Insha Allah),” a leader said addressing the protestors.

In Hyderpora, activists of Hurriyat Conference (G) held protests against the killings. “A resolution was read by Umer Adil on the occassion,” said Imtiyaz Hyder, a front line activist of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat. The resolution condemned the killings while it sought resolution of Kashmir and Palestine issues.

He said that during last many days in Ramazan, “Indian forces attacked various villages and townships and tortured men, women and children besides ransacking their houses”.

“This also shows the growing frustration and fascist approach of Indian army and forces, who only know to kill, maim, blind and humiliate humans,” they said.

While paying rich tributes to “all martyrs who laid down their lives from yesterday evening”, they added, “sacred blood of martyrs and exemplary struggle of our young ones will never go waste and time is not far when oppression will end and the oppressed will have the last triumph.”

The joint resistance leadership had sent a copy of resolution to all Masjids across Kashmir where Imams were asked to read it before the faithful.

Clashes erupted in Hajin area between youth and the armed forces after Friday prayers.

As soon as congregational Friday prayers culminated youths assembled in main chowk Hajin and held a protest rally.

“Forces resorted to teargas shelling after youth hurled stones at them near Hajin Chowk, triggering clashes,” said a witness.

In nearby Ajas village, people offered funeral prayers in absentia for three LeT militants and a civilian killed in Kakapora on Thursday.

Scores of people gathered in the lawns of central Jamia Ajas soon after the culmination of Fridays prayers and offered absentia funeral prayers for the slain militants and the civilian.

They also carried a peaceful protest rally to main chowk Ajas amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.

Clashes broke out between protesters and the men in uniform in Anantnag town which lies in south of Srinagar today.

Youth took to streets and staged massive protests in Reshi Bazar, Mattan Adda and Lal Chowk in Anantnag district after Friday prayers.

Police and paramilitary forces deployed in the area resorted to tear gas shelling to disperse the protesters, triggering clashes.

In Sopore, clashes erupted between protesters and the armed forces today.

Witnesses said that scores of youth took to streets and staged protests against the killing of a civilian in forces’ firing in Kakapora area of Pulwama district yesterday.

As the youth tried to march towards main chowk from Jamia Masjid area, police and paramilitary personnel lobbed tear gas shells to disperse them.

A civilian was killed after forces opened fire on youth protesting against the killing of three Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants in Kakapora.

He was identified as Tawseef Ahmad Wani, a resident of Tengpuna, Pulwama.

The three LeT militants died fighting forces in New Colony area of Kakpora yesterday morning. Two of them belonged to Kakpora and one was resident of Awantipora.

Click to comment
To Top