Pulwama gunfight: Only one militant’s body recovered, two others managed to flee, says Police

At the Pulwama gunfight site, where the police had claimed that three militants have been killed, only one body has been recovered.

There two others, who were declared dead, have managed to flee from the gunfight site. Director General of Police SP Vaid had last evening said that three militants were killed in the gunfight.

A police spokesperson said that the initial information suggested the presence of three militants inside a house but as the final search was carried out, a lone body of a militant was recovered.  “Apparently, the other hiding militants managed to escape from the spot after making indiscriminate fire around the site of encounter,” he said.

In a tweet on Friday, while congratulating the forces, Vaid had said:

The gunfight had started after a joint patrol of the armed forces launched searches on Friday afternoon in the Thamna village of Chatpora.

“As the searches were in progress and security forces advanced towards the suspected house, militants hiding inside fired upon the joint patrol of forces, thereby establishing contact with the militants, leading to an encounter,” said the spokesman.

The slain militant was identified as Sajad Ahmad Shah son of Ali Mohammad Shah, a resident of Gund, Chogul in Handwara area of Kupwara district.

“He was affiliated with LeT militant outfit and was involved in number of attacks on the security establishments,” said the spokesman.

He said five civilians were injured in the “cross firing” and were evacuated to the hospital for medical treatment where “unfortunately one succumbed to his injuries though others are stated to be stable now.”

However, reports said that forces used live ammunition to chase away protesters near the gunfight site, leading to death of a boy, Faizan Ahmad Khan and injuries to at least eight others.

A rifle and ammunition were also seized from the site of the gunfight.

Click to comment
To Top