Iran launched ballistic missiles into eastern Syria, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard informed after a recent attack in a parade in Ahvaz left 29 people, including 12 revolutionary guards dead.
“Our iron fist is prepared to deliver a decisive and crushing response to any wickedness and mischief of the enemies,” the Guards said in a statement on Monday.
The attack took place at 2am local time and targeted the bases of “takfiri terrorists” backed by America and regional powers in eastern Syria, the statement said. Iranian officials often use the word “takfiri” to describe Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) fighters.
The powerful military force said at least six missiles were fired into Syria. It added that seven drones were also used to bomb rebel targets during the attack, which killed a number of fighters and destroyed supplies and infrastructure used by the group.
Syrian state media did not immediately acknowledge the missile strike – the second such attack on Syria in more than a year.
The Iranian state television aired footage that showed one of its reporters standing by as one of the missiles was launched, identifying the area as being in Iran’s western province of Kermanshah.
A state TV-aired graphic suggested the missiles flew over central Iraq near the city of Tikrit before landing near the city of Al Bukamal, in the far southeastern region of Syria.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had said the deadly Iran attack was linked to the United States’ “allies in the region”.
The deputy head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards cautioned U.S. and Israeli leaders to expect a “devastating” response from Tehran after accusing them of their involvement in the military parade attack in the city of Ahvaz, Reuters reported.
In a speech at a the funeral in Ahvaz broadcasted live on state television, Hossein Salami said, “You have seen our revenge before … You will see that our response will be crushing and devastating and you will regret what you have done.”
Islamic State’s mouthpiece, Amaq news agency had earlier posted a video showing three men in a vehicle who said that they were on their way to carry out the attack.
“We are Muslims, they are kafirs (non-believers),” a man wearing a baseball cap which had reportedly a Revolutionary Guard logo on it said. “We will destroy them with a strong and guerrilla-style attack, inshallah (God willing).”
Among those claiming responsibility is Ahvaz National Resistance, an Iranian ethnic Arab opposition movement which has sought a separate state in oil-rich Khuzestan province.