Bulandshahr violence: Army man suspected of killing UP cop detained in JK

Srinagar: An Indian Army man emerged as a key suspect in the killing of a police inspector in mob frenzy over alleged cow slaughter in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr on December 3 was detained by his unit in Jammu and Kashmir and would be handed over to Uttar Pradesh Police on Saturday, India Today reported.

Jitendra Malik, alias Jeetu Fauji, was detained from 22 Rashtriya Rifles Army camp in Sopore. Inspector Subodh Kumar Singh and a 22-year-old undergraduate student Sumit Kumar were killed in the violence that broke out in Bulandshahr apparently after cow carcasses were found strewn in a nearby jungle, the IT report said.

Jeetu Fauji was detained last night by a team of the Uttar Pradesh police from Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore town, NDTV reported.

Jeetu Fauji, who is posted in Srinagar, was in his hometown Bulandshahr on 15-day leave when the mob violence took place, and can be seen in various videos shot that day.

ALSO READ: Bulandshahr violence was an accident, no incident of mob-lynching in Uttar Pradesh, says Adityanath

Quoting sources, NDTV said he fled to Sopore the same evening inspector Subodh Kumar Singh and a civilian were killed.

Recently, National Conference Vice President, Omar Abdullah, reacting to the Bulandshahr incidentwhere a mob attacked and killed a policemen over allegations of cow slaughter, stated that the killers would be eulogized by the ruling party as ‘heroes’, while in Kashmir, such people would have been called ‘terrorists’.

The mob in Bulandshahr violence was allegedly led by Yogesh Raj, an activist of the rightwing group Bajrang Dal, who had complained to the police about cow slaughter after carcasses were found scattered in a forest, NDTV reported.

The police, trying to placate the protesters, came under attack and fired shots in the air as the situation rapidly spiraled out of control, the report stated.

ALSO READ: Bulandshahr violence: Cow vigilante groups operate with tacit approval of state authorities, says Amnesty

Inspector Subodh Kumar Singh and his team had gone to the village to tackle the violence when they came under attack. On video, a wild mob is seen chasing the policemen and shouting: “Maaro, take his gun!” Inspector Singh was assaulted with a sharp weapon and then shot in the head.

Click to comment
To Top