In Photos: Kashmir erupts in rage against alleged rape of 3-yr-old girl, protestors demand justice, death penalty to rapist

People across the valley of Kashmir took out protest rallies, against the rape of a three year girl in Bandipora, and demanded strict punishment for the accused.

The accused is now in police custody.

In Srinagar, protestors held placards and banners that read “hang the culprit” and “We want Justice”. The protestors demanded that the culprit should be hanged in public, so that ‘such an incident is not repeated in the future’.

“A three-year-old girl has been ravaged by a beast. We want the government to hang the culprit so that such things don’t happen again,” a protester at Alamgari Bazar said.

“We want the government to frame strict laws to punish such culprits,” she added.

Terming the crime as a ‘black stain on society’ a protester said, “as a parent, I am more worried now after this horrific incident. Kashmir was the safest place for women, but now it’s not even safe for kids.”

In Srinagar’s Press Enclave, numerous religious, student and activist groups staged protests against the incident throughout the day. The protestors carried banners and placards reading “End rape culture” and “girls are not toys”.

“We are demanding justice against this barbaric act. With every passing day, our society is degrading. We demand that politicians and state leaders should come forward to act very harshly against this culprit so that such incidents are not repeated in the future,” a protestor said.

Meanwhile, clashes between armed forces and protestors erupted across the valley.

As the protests intensified, police used tear smoke shells and pellets to disperse the protestors, leaving several injured.

The clashes continued for several hours and many areas were wrapped under a dense blanket of smoke, caused due to indiscriminate use of tear smoke shells.

The worst clashes were witnesses in areas of North Kashmir including in Mirgund, Hygam, Sumbal, Kreeri and Baramulla.

The valley observed a complete shutdown following a strike call by Itehadul Muslimoon against the incident. Shops and other business establishments were closed and public transport was off the roads.

Click to comment
To Top