China has reportedly released ten Indian army personnel, including two officers, who were captured after the violent clashes in Galwan Valley that left 20 Indian soldiers dead.
The Indian Express reported that the release of these army personnels were secured after hectic negotiations between the two sides, including three rounds of talks at the Major General level from Tuesday to Thursday.
The army statement on Thursday had claimed that “no soldier was missing”, it meant that all army personnels, who were involved in the deadliest clash of the four decades, had been accounted for, the report added.
The statement did not provide any details about the army personnels in Chinese custody.
Tensions are high as the Government of India has given powers to the armed forces to make emergency procurements to stock up its war reserves amid tension building up on the LAC .
Economic Times had reported that the government did not want to leave anything to chance at this stage, especially after the violence in Galwan.
Prime Minster of India Narendra Modi has said that the ‘sacrifices of soldiers’ along the border with China will not go in vain. India wants peace but is capable of giving befitting reply, if instigated, he said.
The external affairs ministry has said the escalation in Galwan Valley of Ladakh happened “as a result of an attempt by the Chinese side to unilaterally change the status quo there”.
China has accused India of crossing the border and attacking Chinese personnel, and called on India to “not take unilateral actions or stir up trouble.”
The armies of India and China are locked in a tense standoff at three points in eastern Ladakh, wherein China has reportedly occupied 60 sq. kilometres of territory claimed by India.
The Chinese military’s has claimed sovereignty over the entire Galwan valley.
A Chinese diplomat reacting to the standoff in Ladakh has said that the move is linked to the Indian government’s unilateral decision to scrap Article 370 in August last year.
The move changed the laws that prohibited Indians from buying land in Kashmir, and made the constitution of Jammu and Kashmir defunct, triggering fears of demographic change in the Muslims majority region of Kashmir.
When India scrapped Jammu and Kashmir’s special status on August 5 last year, the Chinese foreign ministry had issued two statements criticising the development, including one that focused on the splitting of the state into union territories.
This statement, while urging India to be “cautious” on the border issue and to avoid “actions that further complicate the border issue”, said: “China has always opposed India’s inclusion of Chinese territory in India’s administrative jurisdiction in the western part of the Sino-Indian border.” This was a reference to the area in Ladakh that New Delhi claims but is controlled by Beijing.
Free Press Kashmir is now on Telegram. Click here to Join.