Armenia has said that three of its soldiers had been killed in an exchange of gunfire with Azerbaijan. However, both sides have now accepted ceasefire to calm the tensions, a Moscow headquartered news agency Interfax reported on Wednesday.
In a statement, the Defense Ministry of Armenia said that Azeri soldiers had attacked Armenian positions near the border between the two countries. Two Armenian servicemen had been injured in the same incident, the statement said, adding that “fighting continued.”
On the other side, Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry said Armenian forces of what it called “provocations” in the Kalbajar district and said its army would continue to retaliate, Russia’s TASS news agency reported.
Azerbaijan however, had accepted a Russian proposal to enforce a cease-fire in the area, Interfax reported. It then reported that Armenia’s defense ministry had also accepted the cease-fire.
The incident, according to news agency Reuters, was one of the deadliest since a six-week war between ethnic Armenian forces and Baku over the Nagorno-Karabakh region and surrounding areas that ended last year.
In six weeks of fighting last September to November, Azeri troops drove ethnic Armenian forces out of swaths of territory they had controlled since the 1990s in and around the Nagorno-Karabakh region, before Russia brokered a cease-fire.