After the US released a report stating that Beijing has built a large village in disputed territory in the Arunachal Pradesh, the Indian government on Thursday said that it has not accepted the illegal occupation of its territory by China.
“China has undertaken construction activities in the past several years along the border areas, including in the areas that it has illegally occupied over decades,” said the ministry of external affairs.
“India has neither accepted such illegal occupation of our territory nor has it accepted the unjustified Chinese claims,” it added.
Further, external affairs ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said that India keeps a constant watch on all developments having a bearing on its security and takes all the necessary measures to safeguard its sovereignty and territorial integrity.
He also said that India too stepped up infrastructure development including construction of roads and bridges in areas along the border with China.
Bagchi said India has taken note of the US Department of Defence report to the US Congress that made a reference to construction activities by the Chinese side along the India-China border areas.
The Pentagon had said in a report earlier this month China built a large 100-home civilian village inside disputed territory between the Chinese Tibet Autonomous Region and India’s Arunachal Pradesh state in the eastern sector of the LAC.
“These and other infrastructure development efforts along India-China have been a source of consternation in the Indian government and media,” it said.