Hubli: The Karnataka police have arrested 46 people so far after a mob attacked a police station in Old Hubli.
The incident that happened on Saturday night resulted in the injury of 12 policemen, out of which 2 are in critical condition.
Sections 144 was imposed on the entire city following the incident. Police Commissioner Labhu Ram said 6 cases have been registered and investigations are underway to arrest those involved in the attack.
Karnataka’s Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai said on Sunday that the attack is most likely an organised attack.
According to him, a large crowd gathered at the police station for the attack.
The chief minister’s sentiment was shared by the state home minister Araga Dnyanendra, who said the attack might have been pre-planned.
Reports quoting Dnyanendra, said that around a thousand people gathered to attack the police station after the person who posted the provocative video was arrested.
He said the situation is under control now and arrests are being made of those involved in the attack.
GoI minister Shobha Karandlaje condemned the incident and said the mob tried to take the law into their own hands by attacking the police station.
“Karnataka is a peace-loving state. We won’t allow Karnataka to become Kerala, West Bengal or Kashmir,” she continued.