Jammu & Kashmir

Intense protests in Rajouri as locals accuse army of killing two civilians, army says militants involved

Protestors outside Rajouri military camp after two locals were found dead near the garrison’s gate.
Protestors outside Rajouri military camp after two locals were found dead near the garrison’s gate. Photo: [Twitter: Ieshan Wani]

Rajouri: Intense protests were witnessed in Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir by locals as they accuse the army of killing two civilians and injuring another this morning.

The protesting locals gathered outside the garrison shouting slogans as they allege that the army fired upon three.

On Friday early morning, the bodies of two civilians, who are said to be working with army as porters, were found outside the outside the Alpha Gate of army camp along Poonch-Rajouri highway. The third person who sustained injuries was hospitalised.

However, army has rebuffed the claims saying the duo was killed by the unidentified militants as firing was reported outside the camp.

“In an early morning firing incident by unidentified terrorists at Rajauri near Military Hospital, there has been fatal casualty of two individuals. The Police, security forces and civil administration officials are on the site,” army said in a Tweet.

The deceased have been identified as Kamal Kumar and Surinder Kumar, both natives of Rajouri district.

“I was travelling in ma vehicle and heard several shots of bullets at the Alpha gate of army camp. I left behind my vehicle and ran for cover. Later, I came to know that two locals have been killed,” a truck driver told KNO this morning.

Later, massive protests rocked the area with locals demanding probe into the incident as they accuse army of firing of them. The protesters blocked the highway and traffic was also halted on the thoroughfare.

Police earlier said that officials are on the spot to ascertain the facts.

The protesters, as per Kashmir News Trust, including former servicemen alleged that army “shot dead” the two porters and injured another one “intentionally”.

Divulging information about the incident a former army Captain who was one among the protesters told news agency Kashmir News Trust that the incident occurred at 6:40 Friday morning.

“Three workers who used to work in the army canteen were supposed to enter the army camp for work when they were directly fired upon without any warning. Two died on the spot while another worker is battling for life,” KNT quoted the former army Captain as saying.

Click to comment
To Top