On Friday, Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo joined Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr on a 2-1/2 year contract as he left the Manchester United, international media reported quoting the club’s statement.
Ronaldo departed Old Trafford last month following an explosive television interview in which the 37-year-old forward said he felt betrayed by the club and did not respect their Dutch manager Erik ten Hag.
According to a statement as quoted by Reuters, Al Nassr said that the five-time Ballon D’or winner will join on a deal until 2025 but did not disclose any financial details. Ronaldo’s contract has been estimated by media to be worth more than 200 million euros ($214.04 million).
“I am fortunate that I have won everything I set out to win in European football and feel now that this is the right moment to share my experience in Asia,” Ronaldo said in the statement, as per Reuters.
“I am looking forward to joining my new team mates and together with them help the Club to achieve success.”
Earlier, the president of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan talked about Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal’s performance during the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan claimed that Cristiano Ronaldo was subjected to a political ban during the tournament because he supported the Palestinian cause.
“They have wasted Ronaldo. Unfortunately, they have imposed a political ban on him,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying by Al-Jazeera.
“Sending a footballer like Ronaldo to the pitch with just 30 minutes remaining to the match ruined his psychology and took away his energy,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan said adding Cristiano Ronaldo “is someone who stands for the Palestinian cause.”