Jamia Masjid incident: ‘Another police officer sacrificed his life in line of duty’

Jamia Masjid Srinagar during Shab-i-Qadr in 2017.

Srinagar: Police on Friday identified the officer who opened fire on people at Nowhatta and was later beaten to death by a group of people outside Jamia Masjid, Srinagar during the night.

“Another police officer sacrificed his life in line of duty,” a Police statement said adding, “Dy SP Mohammad Ayub Pandith of Security was attacked and beaten to death by a mob at Nowhatta last night.”

Pandith was the resident of Nowpora, Khanyar in Srinagar.

A group of youth caught hold of the Deputy Superintendent of Police (Dy SP), who was in civvies, outside Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta and thrashed him. He was reportedly taking pictures which angered the people who were attending the special prayers.

It was around 12:30 in the night when the incident happened.

Jamia Masjid every Friday or on special occasions witnesses massive pro-freedom protests.

In the melee, the Dy SP opened fire upon them resulted in injuries to three persons. People around snatched the pistol of the officer and beat him to death.

The injured have been identified as Danish Mir, Mudasir Ahmad and Sajad Ahmad Bhat and were hospitalized, they said.

The incident happened when Shab-e-Qadr (special night long prayers) prayers were under way in the historic mosque.

Earlier, police had denied that any of their cops was missing from duty.

The J&K government has imposed restrictions in areas under jurisdiction of five police stations in Srinagar on Friday in view of the call for protests by the Valley’s joint resistance camp against killings by armed forces on Thursday.

These police stations include Nowhatta, Khanyar, Kralkhud, Shaheed Gunj and Zadibal.

“We have decided to impose restrictions so that peace is maintained,” deputy commissioner Srinagar, Farooq Ahmad Lone said.

The joint resistance leadership has called for protests across the Valley on Friday to protest against a civilian killing by armed forces in Pulwama district in south of Kashmir on Thursday.

Three Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants died fighting armed forces in Kakpora area of Pulwama district yesterday morning triggering protests as thousands of people marched towards their native villages for funerals.

Clashes erupted and one civilian was shot dead by forces. He was identified as Tawseef Ahmad Wani, a resident of Tengpuna, Pulwama.

Click to comment
To Top