International

Lebanon Government resigns as public anger over Beirut explosion grows

Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab on Monday announced the resignation of his government after being accused of negligence and corruption by Lebanese people.

As the outrage in the country grew over the deadly Beirut explosion that killed at least 160 people and injured about 6,000, a fresh wave of protests broke out in the nation demanding the government to step down.

The developments followed a weekend of angry, violent anti-establishment protests in which 728 people were wounded and one police officer killed amid a heavy crackdown by security forces, the Al Jazeera reported.

After former premier Saad Hariri stepped down in Oct. 2019 amid anti-government protests over perceived corruption and mismanagement, it took more than two months to form Diab’s government. Diab’s cabinet too was under severe pressure to step down. Some ministers had already resigned over the weekend and on Monday while others, including the finance minister, were set to follow suit, quoting ministerial and political sources , the Reuteurs reported. 

“Today we follow the will of the people in their demand to hold accountable those responsible for the disaster that has been in hiding for seven years,” Prime Minister Hassan Diab said in a speech announcing the resignation.

“I declare today the resignation of this government, God save Lebanon, long live the people of and Lebanon.” Diab said in a televised statement.

Beirut’s governor Marwan Abboud had earlier said that the blast caused up to $5 billion worth of damage, a CNN World report read. He added that between 200,00 to 250,000 people had lost their homes and that the authorities are working to provide them with food, water and shelter.

 

Free Press Kashmir is now on Telegram. Click here to Join

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top