Srinagar: Stating that border stand-off between India and China in Ladakh, has been “very nasty” and China is certainly going at it, United States President Donald Trump said that he had raised the issue with both the countries and US was ready to help in resolving it.
“While we’re at it, we’re talking about China and India, (they) are going at it pretty good on the border, as you know. It has been very nasty,” Trump told reporters at a White House press briefing on Friday.
The US president added that US stands ready to help with respect to both India and China.
“If we can do anything, we would love to get involved and help. And we are talking to both countries about that,” Trump said.
Interestingly, this is not the first time that US president has offered to help mediate the two countries.
Earlier on July 22, 2019, Trump had offered to mediate the Kashmir dispute between India and Pakistan following a meeting with Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan in USA.
In USA, over 30,000 people had gathered to welcome Imran Khan, in what was called the ‘largest gathering of Pakistani-Americans’.
Reacting to this, former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Omar Abdullah had asked if India is going to call Donald Trump a liar now.
Personally I think @realDonaldTrump is talking out of his hat when he says @PMOIndia asked for US involvement in solving the Kashmir issue but I’d like to see @MEAIndia call Trump out on his claim. https://t.co/JRlH4mehrp
— Omar Abdullah (@OmarAbdullah) July 22, 2019
Omar Abdullah wrote on twitter: “personally I think Donald Trump is talking out of his hat when he says Prime Minister’s office asked for US involvement in solving the Kashmir issue but I’d like to see Ministry of External Affairs call Trump out on his claim.”
On Friday, in a meeting Defence Minister of India Rajnath Singh met his Chinese counterpart in Moscow city of Russia on the sidelines of a three-day meet and said that peace and security in the region demands a “climate of trust, non-aggression, peaceful resolution of differences and respect for international rules.”
The Indian army said this week that it had blocked Chinese troops in the most serious clash since 20 Indian armed forces personnel were killed in the violent clash with Chinese army in Galwan valley.
Earlier reports suggested that there has been a major force build-up of Chinese tanks and infantry forces in the south Pangong region.
According to reports, Chinese artillery would be located in ‘depth’ positions, more than twenty kilometres away from the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Quoting sources, a report published by a Delhi based news organisation NDTV, said that the presence of additional tank forces has been detected not too far from Chinese positions in Moldo in South Pangong.
However, Chinese army continues to dominate in various areas. The movement is also being well sighted by the Indian Army ”as it dominates the heights from Thakung to beyond Mukpari.”
This reportedly includes control of both shoulders of the crucial Spanggur Gap, a high-altitude pass that spans more than two kilometres in width through which tanks can operate.
Commenting on the rising border tensions, the army Indian army chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane, had termed the situation along the Line of Actual Control is “slightly tense.”
He also said that army has undertaken some precautionary deployments for own safety and security. Referring to the border tensions, the army General said: “we are sure that the problem can be resolved fully through talks.”
General Naravane’s remarks come after the government said that Chinese troops engaged in “provocative action” at the south bank of Pangong Lake last week.
Free Press Kashmir is now on Telegram. Click here to Join.