3 Kashmiris arrested in Delhi over ‘militant links’, families reject police claims

‘My husband had gone to Ajmer to visit the shrine’

Srinagar: The families of the three Kashmiris arrested in New Delhi today refuted the claims of the Special Cell of Delhi Police that the arrested have links with militant outfits.

Five men, three from Kashmir and two from Punjab were arrested by the Special Cell of Delhi Police from Shakarpur area of Delhi.

Police said these arrests were made ‘after a gunfight’ in the area.

The three Kashmiri men are Reyaz Ahmed Rather and Shabir Ahmed Gojri, both residents of Nasrullah Pora, and Muhammad Ayoub Pathan of Gondhipora village.

The family members of all these arrested men said they are innocent.

Shaista, the wife of Shabir Ahmed Gojri said her husband visits the shrine of Ajmer Sharif every year and this time another youth from the same village Reyaz Ahmed accompanied him.

“My husband had to pay obeisance at Ajmeer Sharif while Reyaz being a welding expert had to get some stuff from Delhi,” she said adding that on Sunday late evening, her husband informed her that he is alright.

“My husband is a tipper driver with a clean police record. We were shocked over the claim made by Delhi Police,” she said adding that Shabir is the sole breadwinner of a family comprising of old parents and two little sisters.

Muhammad Shafi Rather, father of Reyaz Ahmed said that his had gone to Delhi for the first time in life.

“My son had gone to Delhi to purchase some welding stuff,” he said and sought the intervention of Jammu and Kashmir Police.

“My son has clear police record who has been never ever arrested for anything wrong,” Rather said.

Muhammad Ayoub Pathan, a resident of Gondhipora Budgam who is one among arrested by Delhi Police according to his family had gone to Delhi to purchase construction material.

“We are constructing a house and for this purpose Pathan left for Delhi two days ago to get some material,” his family members said.

Pathan is a father of five. One of his sons is in police custody for his alleged involvement in Lawaypora militant attack in February this year.

Two militants Zia-ur-Rehman of Arth Budgam and Khateeb of Wagam Bijbehara were killed in Lawaypora on 5 February this year. An armed forces personnel, Ramesh Ranjan was also killed in the incident.

(Syndicated feed from KNT)


Free Press Kashmir is now on Telegram. Click here to Join.
FPK Android App for 2G. Click here to Download.

Click to comment
To Top