Srinagar shut down, huge gatherings as people join slain militants’ funeral

Photo Credit: QNS.

Resistance leaders Yasin Malik and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq have been placed under house arrest after three militants were killed in Anantnag on Monday morning. People have turned up in large numbers to attend the last rites of one of the slain militant, Eesa Fazli in Srinagar.

Over six rounds of funeral prayers were held for another slain militant Syed Owais Shafi in Kokernag area of south Kashmir’s Anantnag district on Monday.

Authorities in Srinagar have ordered that schools and colleges remain shut as there are fears of protests in the city. Also, train services have been suspended.

The Director General of J&K Police, Shesh Paul Vaid, tweeted, “This group was involved in recent cop killing/ weapon snatching incidents.” Kashmir police tweeted requesting people to co-operate ‘for maintaining order and ensuring peace’.

Restrictions have been imposed in old Srinagar city and high-speed internet is also down.

Three militants were killed in a gunfight in Hakoora area of Anantnag district earlier today. One of the militants, Eesa Fazli, is said to be a resident of Soura, Srinagar.

One of the militants, Eesa Fazli, is said to be a resident of Soura, Srinagar.

ALSO READ: Militant killings aftermath: Schools closed, exams postponed, internet capped, clashes reported

Police in a statement said, “Pursuing credible leads of presence of militants, security forces started search in the Hakoora area of Anantnag district. While the search was going on the hiding militants fired upon the search party. The fire was retaliated by the security forces ensuing an encounter.”

“In the said encounter, 3 militants were killed which include Eesa Fazli of Srinagar, Syed Owais of Kokernag and a third militant whose identity is being ascertained.”

The gunfight, according to sources, had started around 1:15 am at Hakoora-Badsgam in Dooru area of the district. Fazili and Shafi were studying engineering at Baba Ghulam Shah Badshah University in Rajouri before joining militancy.

In the aftermath of the militant killings, Authorities have ordered the closure of all schools and colleges in Srinagar on Monday. An official said that restrictions were imposed in parts of Downtown Srinagar and Soura area.

The university of Kashmir has also decided to suspend all classwork and postpone all scheduled exams. The varsity has also postponed the interviews of contractual lecturers which were scheduled for Monday.

Islamic University of Science and Technology (IUST) Awantipora has also postponed all the scheduled exams. A spokesperson said that fresh dates will be notified.

The Board of School Education, in a statement also said that all exams have been postponed.

Meanwhile, high speed internet has been suspended in Srinagar and south Kashmir districts. Massive clashes were reported from Anantnag district against the killings of three militants in a gunfight with the government forces earlier today.

Reports said that youth took to streets and staged massive protests in Anantnag town and Kokernag area of the district.

Click to comment
To Top